Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Life verse

Philippians 3:13-14

"Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. " NIV

These verses contain many deep theological concepts in a tight package. It clearly shows that getting to Christ is a process. We are participants in working out our salvation. However, it can only happen in Christ Jesus. God has issued the call and given the grace of Christ in Christ making it possible to win. We have a choice to do or not to do. This also means it is possible to lose, even for Paul.

Salvation is first and foremost a person. That person is Jesus Christ. But Salvation is a place as well - in Christ. With Christ we have eternal life, in Christ we have eternal life. Every day we have the chance to start again, forgetting what is behind. For a sinner like myself, this has been a constant comfort since I claimed this verse at 19. It gives me hope and a challange to never, never, never give up, but to press on.

No comments: